Behan's treble helps Cork to semi-final place

Tuesday 25th September 2007, 9:48 pm

Denis Behan scored three as Cork City advanced to the last four of the FAI Cup.

Denis Behan scored three as Cork City advanced to the last four of the FAI Cup.

Photo by Tom Carey.

25th September 2007

FAI Cup Quarter Final (Replay)

Cork City 4

Denis Behan 11, 35, 84

Liam Kearney 61

Waterford United 0

Turner's Cross

Referee : Pat Whelan

Denis Behan scored three goals as Cork City eased past a Waterford United side unable to match their performance of Saturday night in tonight's FAI Cup quarter-final replay at Turner's Cross.

Although only Waterford made a change to their starting line-up from Saturday's game - and only one change at that, Cork City started far better than they played all evening on Saturday.

Waterford's Robert Brosnan had to be alert early. He slid across to block from Leon McSweeney as the Cork striker bore down on goal. At the other end Ray Scully spurned a great chance to grab the lead for the visitors but he fired well over as he failed to make a good connection in a great position in front of the Cork goal.

Behan fired in his first after 11 minutes when he blasted home a free kick as the Waterford wall crumbled in front of goalkeeper Packie Holden.

Behan got his second on 35 minutes as he pounced on a weak back-pass from Brosnan. The Cork striker took control and slotted past Holden to make it 2-0 from close range.

Former Cork City striker Vinny Sullivan had a couple of chances for the visitors either side of half-time but failed to convert.

Liam Kearney made it 3-0 just after the hour to kill off any lingering hopes of a revival from Waterford. Behan was again involved as he flicked the ball into Kearney's path with the winger drilling home.

John O'Flynn entered the fray from the bench for the closing twenty or so minutes. The injury-jinxed striker almost scored with his first touch but saw his header clip the Waterford crossbar before going over.

O'Flynn went close again minutes later after a break into the box on the end of a Behan lay-off but his effort drifted off target.

Dave Warren came close to grabbing a consolation for Waterford in the closing quarter-hour but Cork keeper Michael Devine was alert to the situation and saved a shot that looked bound for the top corner.

Behan claimed his first senior hat-trick when he turned home just six minutes from the end. O'Flynn laid the ball off and Behan finished to wrap up an easier than expected night for City.

Neal Horgan almost added a fifth but blasted a powerful shot just over the Waterford bar in stoppage time.

Behan's three goals brings his tally for the season to eleven with seven now coming in the cup competitions.

Cork join Bohemians, Longford Town and UCD in the semi-final draw.

Cork City : Devine, Horgan, Woods, Murray, O'Callaghan, Gamble (O'Brien 67), Healy, Farrelly, Kearney (Softic 80), McSweeney (O'Flynn 73), Behan.
Waterford United : Holden, Flynn, Hedderman, Brosnan, Breen, Warren, Scully, Kearney (Kiely 55), Bermingham (Grincell 69), McCarthy, Sullivan (A Mulcahy 78).

Home | Site index