Blues boost survival hopes with win against Derry

Saturday 6th October 2007, 1:29 am

5th October 2007

eircom League of Ireland Premier Division

Waterford United 2

Vinny Sullivan 49

Willie-John Kiely 51

Derry City 1

Pat McCourt 29 pen


Referee : Marc Gough

Waterford United came from behind to secure a hugely important win at the RSC against Derry City on Friday night. Waterford knew going into the game that they could slip bottom of the Premier Division if they lost - instead the Blues have opened up a five point lead on Longford.

The loss is Derry's fourth in a row and in truth their season is pretty much over after Tuesday night's League Cup Final - save for a possible Setanta Cup qualifier against the First Division champions.

On an eventful night, Waterford failed with an eleventh minute penalty after Eddie McCallion had handled in the area. Pat Jennings saved well from Vinny Sullivan's spot kick.

Derry eventually took the lead just before the half hour as Alan Kearney handled in the box and this time Derry had a penalty. Pat McCourt made no mistake from the spot and Derry went in ahead at the break.

Sullivan's persistence paid off on 49 minutes as he forced the ball in for an equaliser. Having seen a shot saved by Jennings and then seeing his follow-up hit the post, the Waterford striker turned home.

Just two minutes later Waterford were ahead as Willie John Kiely pounced on a loose attempted clearance from Killian Brennan to nip in and just about force the ball over the line.

A bad night for Brennan ended on the hour when he was sent off after a clash with Dave Warren.

Another altercation in the final minute saw Waterford finish with ten men after Alan Mulcahy was shown a straight red card.

Waterford United : Delaney, Flynn, Hedderman, Brosnan, Hayes, Warren, Scully, McCarthy, Sullivan (Grincell 75), Kiely, Kearney (A Mulcahy 82).
Derry City : Jennings, McCallion, Hargan, Hutton, Higgins, Brennan, McGlynn (McDaid 71), Deery, McCafferty (Martyn 63), McCourt, Farren.

Home | Site index